Friday, May 23, 2008

Back in Action

We arrived today around 11:45 local time (2 hours behind EST) and, stepping out of the airport, were greeted with the familiar sensation of wicked humidity and the smell of burning trash.  I could have been blindfolded and would have easily known I was in Nicaragua.

We rented a mini-van for this trip and had surprisingly little trouble getting it from Budget.  I am shocked that I actually made a reservation online from the states that worked, a month later, in Nicaragua.  With logic clearly experiencing some technical difficulties I feel like I should go bet on the Orioles to make the playoffs or something.  

Our first stop was our hotel, the lovely Casa Naranja.  We dropped our bags off and went right back out to grab some water and to buy some minutes for our cell phones.  We figured it would be about a 15 minute trip.

That was almost over almost 3 hours ago.

We drove by the street corner where the kids sometimes work and saw a couple of them hanging around.  We decided to buy the water and then go say hi.  

Even before we could check out at the gas station the kids surrounded us, showering us with hugs, kisses, and lots of very rapid Spanish words.  I am pretty sure that they have some sort of Gringo sensor, as we were just about out of site from their street corner, and were in the store for less than 2 minutes.  

We spent a few hours playing, talking, and, mostly, hugging.  Most of the VISEDAL kids were there along with their moms and a grandmother.  What a treat it was to see them again.  It felt like no time had passed since I left in January.  We shared the same jokes, piggy-back ride routines, and craziness as my 3.5 months with them.  

The kids LOVE playing with Emily, and a few of the girls thought she needed a new hairstyle.  Sadly Emily's new 'do escaped my camera.  

My mom, of course, is wonderful with the kids, too.  I admire the way she doesn't let the language barrier deter her from truly making the kids feel loved.  As a wannabe writer, I have heard the "show, not tell" rule for most of my academic life.  My mom's relationships with the kids are excellent examples of how to fulfill that.  

Brad was great with them as well.  He is so kindhearted and selfless.  (As you can see, I haven't mastered the "show not tell" rule yet)  He's serving as our driver/translator as well, so he has his hands full.  

We are going to head out for dinner in a little bit.  I believe that we are going to try this organic restaurant nearby.  I went there with Emily and some of our friends when I lived here and loved it.  It should be fun.  After dinner I think we'll probably get ready for bed, since we woke up around 3:30am EST time this morning.

Thanks for reading.  We are so excited for this trip.  We can't wait to show you the differences being made in the lives of these kids.  Thanks for your love and support!

-dw

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you arrived safely. I love hearing about the kids, I feel like I know them too. I think you will need to document Emily's hairdo's I know how she loves to try different hairdo's!!! Love to all. Leslie

Unknown said...

Dang it!! I want to see Em's new hairstyle! Enjoy the organic food. Make Em try some cheese :) Have an amazing week!