Saturday, July 19, 2014

Introducing Jessie, Our 2014 Summer Intern


Hi, there!
My name is Jessie and I’m one of the new interns with Visedal this summer! I just graduated from the College of William and Mary, continuing the tradition of Tribe Pride in Visedal. I majored in international relations. I first found out about Visedal when Ben Boone visited one of my classes this spring and talked all about the organization and the great work it does. He mentioned summer internships with Visedal and I talked to him after class, so excited about Visedal and the opportunity to intern. I only had one problem: I don’t speak Spanish! No problem, Ben told me. So here I am! Picking up as much Spanish as I can and hopefully taking classes soon.

The first week here has been a whirlwind, but already I am so grateful to have this opportunity. Our first three days here, as part of the volunteer trip, were indescribably amazing. The scholars are so welcoming and loving. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten so many hugs before in my life! My favorite part of the volunteer trip was just talking with the scholars. With the little Spanish I know, the little bit of English they know, and lots of gestures, we had lots of great conversations. At the end of the volunteer trip, everyone was saying goodbye. When the scholars came up to me to say goodbye, I told them I would be here another month. Their faces lit up when they heard this. I couldn’t believe that after we’d known each other only three days, they were so happy to hear that I was staying a while.

 Jessie and Genecis

Jessie, Mekaila, and Ana

I can’t wait to really dive in and get started on my intern project. I have always been a creative person and I love anything and everything artistic. So, my project is going to be arts and crafts with the scholars! I already have some ideas for activities: a mural, tie-dye, beading and friendship bracelets, dream catchers, and many more. I hope to organize activities to appeal to all the scholars, no matter their age. I have always found that having a creative outlet can be a great way to express myself, not to mention just plain fun! I hope to help the scholars find these joys in our activities. Keep an eye on Visedal social media for updates on my project and the scholars’ creations!

No comments: