Sunday, August 17, 2014

Wrapping it up for Mekaila

Hey everyone! Mekaila is writing to you for the last time this year.

My time here in Nicaragua and as an intern has come to a close. It is difficult to leave when I feel like I have just arrived. Well I would like to share with you all how this past week went in Casa VISEDAL and then give a short recap and reflection of my time here.

Casa VISEDAL is always a great place to come and each day is a different experience with different scholars! This week it was somewhat slow and we had fewer kids come than last week. We had a talk with the moms and the kids and hopefully they will get used to this new schedule. It can be difficult sometimes to get used to something at first. Just give the kids a little time and they will not forget and will get used to it. We are excited every time the scholars come and enjoy every minute with them.
Sonia and her son
This week we had a great deal of of scholars learning english with the Rosetta Stone program on the computers. We had a lot of scholars learning how to use computers for the first time as well as scholars doing homework on the computers. There was a lot of learning that happened this week! It was so great and the kids would light when they were able to use the computers as well as getting an 82% on one of the sections of Rosetta Stone. It is so great how VISEDAL encourages these young people to use their minds. Education is a great tool and VISEDAL stands behind it.
Génesis Elizabeth learning english and how to use a computer

Isaac and Josué enjoying VISEDAL computers
This week was also enjoyable as we had scholars who wanted to come every day! Belén, Jostyn, and Génesis Elizabeth came three days this week just because they wanted to hang out with us as well as learn english. It is so great to see that some of the scholars truly enjoy spending time with us interns but also with VISEDAL staff. We also had Génesis Valesca who came every day this week, because she missed Jessie! 
Génesis Valesca and her mom enjoying Casa VISEDAL
Also this week, Brad, Jessie, and I had been given the task to create short videos for the VISEDAL virtual 5K on October 4th to raise money for our scholars. It is going to be an awesome event and you register online and will receive a shirt and some other things after you register. Then on October 4th, wherever you are from China to Maryland or Australia to California, you decide what you want to do. You can run a 5K, read 5 chapters of a book, bake 5 cupcakes, etc. You take a photo of yourself doing whatever activity you want and post it on social media with the #visedal5K. You will be able to see what everyone else is doing too! It is also a great way to spread the word about VISEDAL as well as raise money for our kids. It is so exciting! You can register right now! 

Anyways, the videos! We had been asked to make 3 but this week we focused on one and then Jessie and Brad would take care of the other two after I left. It was a lot of fun filming the 15 second video! We got all of the staff here in Nicaragua involved and it looks great! Keep a look out this tuesday on social media and check out our video and register! 
Just a little preview of what you might see in the video
On Friday we had another "Girl Talk" session. This session is a part of my intern project. Last week we discussed topics such as drugs, sex, self esteem, and making good decisions. It was a good session and I was very transparent and open with the girls which in turn they were open with me. This week we went over the questions that I had given them last week and discussed the importance of goal setting and using their talents, interests, and dreams to accomplish their goals in life. We also discussed love and what God's love is for every one of us. It was a great session and we were all open and discussed each question in detail. It was so exciting that I discovered what some of the scholars want to do with their education. For instance, Belén wants to become a doctor and Joseling wants to become a reporter! These girls are incredible and I pray that they continue to dream big and know that they can achieve it. We had some laughs and some serious moments as well. I feel so blessed and honored to have been a part of this amazing experience here with these girls!
"Girl Talk" Session
After the session, Rocío and the girls all shared kind words with me since it was my last day with them. It was definitely very emotional. Belén when sharing with me how much they will miss me began to cry which made me cry too. It was difficult to say goodbye but that wasn't a 'goodbye' just a 'see you later'. The girl's words were so sweet and touching, I will forever cherish in my heart everything that was said and everything I have experienced here with these amazing scholars. 
Our "Girl Talk" group
Now to quickly recap and reflect on my internship. First of all I would like to explain my intern project a little more in detail. My intern project, thanks to the help of a volunteer Yvy, was about giving the older girls ages 12 and up the encouragement they needed to accomplish their goals as well as helping them understand the importance of making good decisions in their lives. I gave each girl a journal to keep for whatever they wanted it for, but wanted them to also write in it like a diary. I also expressed the importance of not bottling up your feelings, dreams, and goals, but rather sharing them, whether it be on paper or with a friend. Then each friday we had a "Girl Talk" session to show them that they aren't alone in how they feel about certain things in life and also to help give direction. I let the girls know that I would be there for them and that I feel and think like they do. Encouragement, love, and instruction is what I wanted to give these girls. If the girls learned nothing else, I pray that they learned how much I care about and love them, as well as God's love for them. 

It has been such an amazing journey these 5 weeks that I have been here! This most certainly won't be the last time I am here that's for sure! Once you come you can't just come once! It has been a wonderful learning experience for me and I treasure every day that I had here. The VISEDAL staff is incredible and the kids are terrific! I am so blessed and honored to have served as an intern here in Nicaragua and worked with this staff and group of kids!

Thank you all so much for reading and I encourage you all to come and see for yourself! These kids are great and the experiences will last a lifetime!

Goodbye, for now!
-Mekaila :)

No comments: